Friday, January 25, 2013
Garden 2012 - October
Sometime in late October/early November we put our garden to sleep. The kids thought it was sad, but they were already planning what they were going to plant next year. :)
Keith's turnips were prolific! I asked him when he came home with seeds if he had ever eaten a turnip before and he said no....probably why he bought the seeds. :D
I'm ashamed to say they are still in the garden, too. :) I have eaten a few of them and we have given some away, but we haven't had any return visitors come for more turnips. :) And you can only eat so many turnips.....they sure are a pretty color though.
Kristyn picking the last of the peppers that the frost didn't get.
See all the spinach behind Owen? It's so tasty. :)
So that's our garden for 2012. I hope you didn't find it boring....I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting our garden and can't wait to start our new one in a couple of months. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I just LOVE to garden!!! I can relate to the "turnip issue". My parents had turnips, turnips, and then some more turnips!! :-) I think I still have some in the garage to get rid of!! Enjoyed all yours pics!!!! :-)
Enjoyed your pictures very much!! =)
Happy New Year! Loved catching up on your blog and seeing all your beautiful pictures. I love garden pictures. Yours turned out great. I can't beleive it's almost time to think about planting soon. We havent done a garden for the last couple years but are planning to put one in this year :) Your kids get cuter every time I "see" them :)
Thank you so much for your SWEET comments you have left on my blog. The one you left on the Gory or Glory post, was so meaningful to me. Thank you!
And, I wish I could take you up on that "helping me pack." =)
So far, we haven't started packing quite yet. But, the Lord is helping us. Yesterday and today we've pretty much sold all of our big pieces of furniture. Now the people just need to come and pick everything up. Once those are gone, then we'll have more space to lay out suitcases and start the hard job of deciding what we'll take, and what we'll leave behind. =(
Right now, we are also scheduling deputation services, and I'm working with our children to finish school this year. =)
Enjoyed this blog post. That is so nice you can grow your own veggies! On the turnips issue, My Moma would tell you that years ago when we had a school in TN, and had NO MONEY, she would get free boxes of veggies, and would use those to feed all of our staff and students. One time she got LOTS of turnips. As you know, turnips and kids and teenagers DON'T MIX. =) But, she had no other option, for she didn't have money to go and buy potatoes. So, she learned that if she would cut the turnip in half she could see a RING around the outside which makes the turnip BITTER! She cut that ring off (a good 1/2 inch or so around the turnip), and then made "Scaloped potatoes" with those turnips and the kids LOVED THEM, and came back for 2nds & 3rds. =) So, thought I'd share Moma's tip, in case your husbands ever decides to plant turnips again. =)
So happy that Liz has her baby boy safe in her arms now! =)
Blessings, and COME ON OVER when you can. =)
~Heather~
Post a Comment