Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2012

*Little Jeren Man*

Today was opening day of deer season and it was Owen's day to go with Daddy.  Nobody was paying attention to Jeren and he got himself all dressed and ready to go.


He was quite disappointed when Daddy told him (again) today was Owen's day and that his day would be another day.


But I told him that the girls and I were going to go hunting (good thing there's a little patch of woods nearby for occasions such as this) and he could go with us - that made him feel better.


So we walked down behind the school to "our" little creek and he made a bee line for the woods (tiny strip of woods along the creek)


He checked out every hole for rabbits, or foxes, or snakes, or bugs.......


He checked out the creek bank for tracks...


He navigated through all sorts of fallen timber - with much help from his older sister


Like with all hunters, I'm sure, nature calls at the most inconvenient times....


Then he hollers out, "MOM, A FISH"


When he figured out he couldn't catch the fish, he continued on with his hunting...


Not one leaf, or pebble was left uncovered - there might be creatures crawling under there....


Maybe a splash will bring the creatures out of hiding...


"Hello?  Anybody in there?".....


With the hours passing and no success on his hunting trip, he decides to head back home...


He was sure he could keep up with his big sister, because he tells me daily, "I'm big boy now"


Not wanting to leave his dear mother behind (or maybe he was a little terrified of the "big woods" he waited for me to catch up)......


With crossing the creek, the girls decided it was a delightful place to set up house keeping - with that thought, the mighty hunter heads back out to bring home the bacon...


Ever so quietly he creeps through the branches, hoping to spy out the big game...


"You can't see me, I'm wearing camo"


Then an obnoxious branch sends his hat flying... (and almost sends him flying)


Back on it goes and back to hunting he goes....


"Ummmm - are you coming, Mom!  I'm not scared if you don't want to, but please do come with me."


Another fish, or is that a lobster?..... (crawdad)


Hunters have to be balanced.....


And sure of every step....


Finally, he decided that hunting was not for him and it was time to go home for a nap, so he sneaked out through his secret passage way....


Followed by his three sisters.....


I love this little hunter with one ear in.......


And one ear out.....


Hunting is hard work, but he did a fine job of it.....


Momma loves you, Buddy, maybe next time you can bring home the bacon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great little hunter!! We kinda feel like we've been on the hunt with him, with all the neat pictures. Jeren, we are proud of you ~ being such a big, brave hunter, and for protecting your sisters and your momma. Thanks for sharing all the pictures. We love you all BUNCHES!!!

Grandma & Grandpa

Rob and Deanna said...

This would make a GREAT kids' book! The way you wrote this with the pictures..... My boys would love this in book form. "Jeren, the hunter that wasn't too little" :-)

The Dickinsons said...

What a cute little hunter! He thought that he didn't "catch" anything...but he "caught" all of our attention. =) So CUTE! Loved this post. (I'll have to show my boys.)

And Happy Birthday to your Megan. Looks like she had a FUN birthday!

Blessings,
~Heather~

Keith and Crystal said...

Thank you, Deanna! :) That would make a great title for Jeren's book. :D

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, all the pictures and that darlin' little boy. I think Deanna has a good idea. If nothing else, at least a shutterfly book for Jeren. I'm not sure who had more fun hunting that day. Mama and her crew, or Daddy and Owen! Love you all! Grandma Della

Janie said...

What a cute little hunter you have there. I love his ear tucked in his hat! Great pictures!

Blog Archive