Search This Blog

Friday, October 19, 2012

New Friends!

There is an Amish community not too far from here and we love going up there.  Each family has a different trade and they will have a small building, or a little extention off of their house that is for their goods that they are selling.

One of them explained that every family HAS to sell something different than the others, so that they aren't competing with each other.

So one family sells seeds and garden starters, while another sells cheese and honey and another baked goods and another dried goods and spices.  There is a man that has a sawmill to sell lumber and another makes cabinets and furniture and yet another has his horses available for breeding. There are signs out of buggy repair,  whole chickens, sheep for sale, quilts and the list goes on.  So it's just a great trip when we go up there.

Just like everybody else in the world, each family is different. Some are friendly to outsiders, some not so much.

Yesterday was our day to go get our flour and oats and seasonings we get from them and we stopped by the carpenter mans house for Keith to talk to him about a table and they were super friendly.

The kids were fascinated with our kids - all staring out the windows. :)

Pretty soon they came and sat under the tree by the suburban and I told our girls they could go sit with them.  They asked their names - Christina and Vera.

Shortly after that, their oldest boy came out and started talking to me.  He was a bright young man with lots of stories to share. :)

Then blazing around the corner of the barn came this tiny pony with two small boys sitting WAY up high on a pile of hay.  I couldn't believe that little thing could pull such a load.

They unloaded their hay in the barn and put the seats in the wagon and rode over to where we were.  The bigger boy asked if our kids would like a ride.

I'll let you guess what their reaction was. :)


The boy (Jacob) drove them around and then got off and handed Kristyn the reins - GASP!!!
I was seeing all kinds of bad things happening, but I just watched and surprisingly she did a great job. :)

Then she dropped the boys (Owen and Jeren) off and the two little girls hopped on and Kristyn took them for another ride.

They don't like their pictures to be taken, but I did manage a few shots with the lens under Ashlyn's arm. :)  I think the flash went off on Ahslyn's shirt, so it made the picture turn out weird, but I still like it.

Kristyn was on cloud nine!!


So now the kids have decided that they want to be Amish......


For whatever reason, Megan was sitting on her coat.  

Aren't they adorable??

After an hour and a half there, we traveled on to get our cheese and honey. :)  I just love their little shops.

 So Keith told the kids that tonight we could live like the Amish.  No lights, CD's, computer, or trips in the suburban.  They think it will be just grand.....we'll see.  He told them that as soon as it starts getting dark, they will have to get ready and go to bed, because we can't have candles burning very long and we won't have lights - that's what the Amish do. :D   Haha!!

I'll let you know how it turns out.  We will use the indoor pluming, I can assure you of that. :D

Have a great weekend!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! What priceless memories they will be making (probably some for mommy and daddy, too!!! :)) Thanks for sharing the pictures. Brings back memories of our not-so-little munchkins taking a buggy ride!

Love ya bunches,
Mom

The Dickinsons said...

So glad you were able to sneek some pics. LOVE the one of the buggy with the house in the background. What a FUN time and neat memories Jesus gave to your children that day.

LOVED the post below of your darling daughter making "bread." Too cute! =D

Thanks for your nice comment. I just posted another easy fun Food Friday recipe...and then below it...I added another version that you can make with that bread recipe you made. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Have a blessed Weekend,
~Heather~

The Dickinsons said...

Forgot to say you are welcome for the bread recipe...so GLAD y'all like it. =)
~Heather~

Anonymous said...

How sweet and so much fun for all of you, especially Kristyn getting to "drive" the pony! :) I don't want you to get rid of the Suburban tho'. It would take much too long to get to Grandma's and Papa's with a horse and buggy!!!! Thanks for sharing! Love you blog! and all of you!!!!
Momma D

Jana said...

How fun!!! I've always been kinda' fascinated with the Amish. (Even tho I think some people have thought WE were Amish before..;-) lol. We love to visit a little grocery store that the Amish run a few miles from us. Interesting people!! :-)

Just another day in Paradise said...

So just curious how living like the amish went??? lol I don't get on blogs very often but love to look back at all the posts when I do get on. Cute kids:)

Keith and Crystal said...

Thanks for asking! Our Amish lifestyle lasted approximately 10 minutes. :D We had a late supper and they really wanted the lights on, even though we had candles burning. :)

They said they wanted to "see" what they were eating and I think the strange shadows on the walls, (from the candles) didn't help anything. Haha!!!!

We still had fun!

Rob and Deanna said...

What a blessing, to be able to shop in an Amish community and make friends with them!! I really miss the "small town" feel that we had in PNG, Bahamas and my Grandpa Paulus' town of Applecreek. We used to go to town with him to the auction and the Amish would be there. I LOVED it! There was a fresh spring in town that most would take their jugs to get drinking water and the Amish buggies would all be parked around it too. Great life experience for your kids!

Blog Archive