A couple of years ago we got George. He was a nice little caterpillar that turned into a beautiful butterfly!
So this year we got Charolette! :) Thankfully, we didn't have to look very long for her. She was sitting nicely on a Milkweed plant waiting for us.
We only had to feed her a very few days (thankfully) and she decided it was time to spin her chrysalis.
First she hung upside down for about 24 hours.....
then she spun her chrysalis. This is so amazing - they change from a caterpillar into a bright green chrysalis in less than 60 seconds. When I read that, I thought "surely not" but, yes, it's true!!!
Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of her in that beautiful state, but you can see what George looked like and she looked pretty much the same. :)
She stayed green in her chrysalis for two weeks and then Sunday morning we woke up and Charolette had turned to THIS:
The green had turned clear and we could see her wings. We knew it was almost time.
We came home from church and found her drying her wings - so beautiful!
After a few hours, she started walking around and the kids had a grand time letting her walk on their fingers.
Megan's so proud of herself.
Pretty soon it was time to let her go.....
As soon as we opened the lid of the jar, she was off - not like George who stayed around for a while! What a great little experiment we had.
(Notice Megan's dress and the one Kristyn was wearing when George flew away - :( They grow so fast!)



3 comments:
Wow! These are awesome pictures, Crystal! What a wonderful science lesson ~ and what a great reminder of the awesome God that we serve!
Love you all!
Mom
Loved the updates! I wish we could find a caterpillar, but I never see them here! :( I showed the kids the pictures and they were amazed :>) Love ya all!
Learning is fun! Glad you take the time to do these fun things with the little ones. Beautiful caterpillar and butterfly, and the expressions on the faces of our sweet grands are so much fun to see. Thanks for being such a good momma and daddy!!! Love you, Momma D
Post a Comment